Everything ages, including your teak woodwork. Over time, nature’s elements and general wear will stain a teak boat. Here are a few simple steps to help Restore Your Teak, either with teak oil or varnish:
Teak oil option:
- Clean the surface – wipe away any dirt with a damp rag.
- Deep clean – there are three options for cleaning. The cost effective approach is a combination of laundry detergent (75%) and chlorine bleach (25%). Leave this solution on the teak for a few minutes and then rinse off. Otherwise try a cleaner with oxalic acid or as a last resort a two-part cleaner (follow instructions for use carefully).
- Select a teak oil – choose which type best suits your needs, there are a wide variety of oils available; mildew protection, UV filters, and so forth. N.B. Be sure you know what base is used for the teak oil – linseed oil (cheaper but will darken wood) or Tung oil (more expensive but water resistant).
- Paint on – apply several coats of oil and wipe away any excess. Apply enough oil to saturate the wood.
- Teak Sealer – will help protect the oiled teak. Best to wait at least two weeks before applying it. An oil-free surface is needed for the sealer to work so wipe down the wood with an acetone-soaked cloth.
- Seal the deal – apply a few coats of sealer with a brush and allow to dry.
- Repeat – to maintain a great oiled teak wood finish, clean and reseal every few months.
- Thoroughly clean the area – wipe away any dirt.
- Apply a thick coat of varnish or paint remover on the teak floor for around half an hour, or as long as is specified on the tin.
- Use a paint scraper to remove old varnish. Apply more varnish remover on any stubborn areas that won’t budge.
- Paint thinner will come in handy to make sure all the leftover varnish is removed from the teak flooring, apply with a rag and allow it to dry for around an hour.
- Apply a thin coat of waterproof varnish. Allow the deck to dry for several hours. If there are any bumpy or rough patches then use a fine grit sandpaper to smoothen.
- Repeat with another thin coat of varnish – dry for 6 hours.
- Enjoy the end result.